Thursday, January 24, 2013

the bet

If I am the ultimate woman who needs to be in charge of her environment, then my husband is the ultimate man who is able to just go with the flow.

And I mean it. I need a Plan and I need to stick to the Plan. I need to know all of the options and all of the consequences ahead of time. I need to formulate plans B and C just in case the Plan doesn't work. And if we go off course from the Plan, I go in to full on crisis management mode to get back to the Plan as soon as possible. Hello, my name is Jennifer and I am type A.

All of this means that once I really was off my birth control (and once things had settled down from Christmas), type A me went in to full on baby planning mode. I started reading What to Expect when You're Expecting and learned that getting pregnant wasn't just a matter of you and your husband making love. Oh no. There's tracking your ovulation on a calendar, taking your basal body temperature before you even get out of the bed in the morning, documenting this thing called cervical mucus, and even taking something similar to a pregnancy test to see if you are ovulating so you and your husband know exactly the moment when it's time to go go go!

I told my husband about everything I was reading and all these things we could apparently be doing to get pregnant and he stopped me in my tracks to keep me from going off the type A personality cliff. Then he very lovingly, with only the teeniest bit of frustration, very firmly laid down some perspective. All of those scary, kinda gross, and definitely not romantic things I just mentioned were all for couples that were trying to have a baby. We are simply going to stop trying not to have a baby. Because, as Danny put it, if you’re trying to have a baby, then it’s a chore. But if you are simply no longer “trying not to get pregnant,” it makes for all of the sexy time and none of the stress.

While it will be really hard for me to not be actively trying to do something (I need a plan damnit!), this perspective will be really good, i.e. healthy, for me. No pressure. No stress. Just no more remembering to take my birth control every night and sexy time with my hubby whenever we want. That sounds much better.

So I’m fine, right? Totally relaxed and going with the flow? Wrong.

While I know I’m not allowed to go in to operation Let’s Get Me Knocked Up Before The End Of August, it wouldn’t hurt to get a lot of my research out of the way, would it? So I’m still reading my What to Expect when You’re Expecting book, I’ve downloaded not one, but two apps on my phone for period tracking and pregnancy forums, and I’ve subscribed to both the Baby Bumps and Trying for a Baby subreddits. Just how I dove head first into wedding planning and to this day love a juicy discussion about chiavari chairs, pintuck linens, and garden roses versus peonies, my type A personality loves to know everything there is to know about something and now I’m wading fairly deep in the challenging world of maternity.

And some of this research is not premature (pardon the pun) and fairly helpful. For example, I know it would be a good idea to start taking prenatal vitamins. So I’ve been researching what the recommended levels are for prenatals and what options are out there. I also know that my sister was diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (aka MTHFR) (aka compound heterozygous mother fucker), and that I will need to mention this at my preconception appointment so that my ObGyn knows to test me for it and check my homocysteine levels before I start a prenatal vitamin. 

This is where I got in to trouble. Someone on one of the forums I’m now following mentioned a product called Pre-Seed. I’d never heard of it before. Apparently, most lubes and even saliva are not sperm friendly. Pre-Seed is a sperm friendly lube for couples who are trying to get pregnant.

Think of it as the sperm HOV lane for lady parts. I thought this would be a great idea for our sexy time and approached Danny about buying it for when we stop “trying not to get pregnant” in May.

He was very patient and let me get through my entire schpeel of how I found out about it, how it worked, and that I thought we could maybe get some for us. Then he said no.

He knows my personality and my propensity for planning and he is absolutely adamant that 1.) this will turn in to a mission and 2.) we won’t have any trouble getting pregnant. But I need control! Of course I’m worried I won’t get pregnant! Don’t you know who I am? I need to worry! So I tried to come up with a compromise. He’s so sure we will get pregnant right away and won’t let me do any of these things like buying sperm-friendly lube to help speed things along. If August rolls around and we’re still not pregnant, we can take a break for the fall and winter and not start up again until after the new year so I won’t have a summer or fall baby.

But even that didn’t work for him. Because to Danny, a compromise like this means that this new phase of no longer “trying not to get pregnant” is actually us actively trying to get pregnant and even worse, us considering the possibility that we might not get pregnant right away! And to Danny, that's just way too dangerously similar to a chore.

So he came up with the bet.

Danny is so positive (or at least, trying so hard to exude positivity) that we will get pregnant the very first month we stop “trying not to get pregnant,” that he is willing to bet something major on it. So if we do get pregnant that first month, he wins. If not, I win. [It’s really ingenious if you think about it because while I’ll be stressing about not getting pregnant, at least if I don’t that first month, I’ll still have “won” something.]

At first, I thought maybe we could bet who gets to pick the middle name. But Danny doesn’t have a middle name in mind that he likes, so it wouldn’t really be a prize to him. Then I thought about the wall color for the nursery. But adding pregnancy hormones on to an already type A personality is kind of the prefect super storm of a reaction if Danny picks some horrible color that doesn’t go with the Pinterest pins of nursery ideas I’m already amassing. I’ll update you when I come up with something really good. It’s got to be something that the winner will be super excited about, but the loser will still be able to handle.

Either way, I love my hubby for his constant ability to understand me and to come up with fun ways to give and take.

No comments:

Post a Comment